Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I Can Stop Anytime I Want To

While I tend to attribute a lot of my gardening love to my dad, in truth, my mom is equally responsible. For many of the past few years, we have made pilgrimages to our favorite greenhouses in Lancaster County. Being an apartment dweller, I would come home with a plant or two, while Mom would slowly fill her cart, all the while asking me to stop her but not really meaning it.

It the next few weeks after these trips, I would inevitability hear of  "just one more" plant she had found for the garden. I would sigh and tease here and she would just laugh.

I am my mother's daughter.

This is what I went to get Saturday – a purple raspberry bush, mostly out of sheer novelty and raspberry love.


While there, I also found a lupine, another favorite:


And then I went to a different green house to find a pot for the porch for these ...


... which I had bought at a stand near my mother's on Memorial Day, and found these:


Daylilies, everblooming, for a dollar each, just marked down. I love daylilies and inherited a bunch from the previous owners. They seem to do well at the extremely sunny patch in front of the property, so I'm hoping these will fill in the big sunbaked spaces left by my weed-pulling binges.

I also received these from my mom – a fireworks plant on the left, and perennial huechera on the right.


Finally, I have discovered that it is possible to buy plants on eBay, so I have three Chinese lantern plants on the way. I blame my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment