Sunday, March 11, 2012

Vegetable Beats Rock

I destroyed the beginnings of a perfectly good rock garden last week. The interesting thing is that it was in my vegetable garden.

Being a bit out of practice with the blog, I didn't take any before pictures, but I'm sure you can visualize a yea-by-yea patch of earth surrounded by low wire fencing to keep the rabbits out and covered with all manner of moss, lichen, and other terrarium appropriate plant. You see, we've had such a mild winter that not much has frozen, and things have started kicking off early, even weeds. Bastards. But I have a plan.

We live a few miles from some terribly fragrant mushroom houses. Luckily for us, the smell almost always blows down into our poor, unfortunate, blighted "city." We, instead, reap the benefits of cheap bags of rich soil. All you do is drop in a random person's backyard, drop $2.50 in an honor system box, and shovel your own feed bag full o' rich, filthy earth. Steal.

So today we spread that mess over the garden, turned it all over, and put down weed barrier fabric in an attempt to prevent a repeat of the purslane invasion of last year.

Ignore the bag label – this is the mushroom soil.

Mushroom soiled and turned over

 Alternate angle

E

Weed barrier – we might have done more, but we ran out. This should help.

Alternate angle

So now for this years crops – we are planning to repeat the tomatoes and peppers with a few alterations. I think we'll focus on the little yellow Sunsugar cherry tomatoes that were delicious, prolific, and the most useful. As much as I like the idea of heirlooms, I will probably forego them, or perhaps get one, as heirlooms seem to be heirlooms for a reason and are probably not intended for the novice. As to peppers, last year I bought purple bell peppers that turned out the be green peppers in disguise. So this year, I'm going for any hearty, tried-and-true red pepper. and in the hot pepper department, we will probably keep a few serranos but try a habaƱero or lemon drop as well.

In herbs, we will get a lovely basil plant and I will try to do some cilantro from seed as I've learned you need to stagger plantings to have a steady supply.

New experiments this year: scallions, Stuttgart onions, Yukon Gold potatoes, and, of all things, peanuts. It's going to be jam packed, and perhaps a snarl, but what the heck.

No comments:

Post a Comment